Request Info

Master of Science Ocean Engineering - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

Accordion Group

Open All Tabs
  • How long will it take to acquire an MSOE degree?

    The program is designed to be completed in 12-15 months. Students will be enrolled in 3 semesters of coursework.

  • How many classes will I be required to take each semester?

    See curriculum and course page.

  • Are research and/or teaching assistantships available for this program?

    No, there are no research or teaching assistantships available to MSOE students. The MSOE is a self-funded degree program.

  • Are there scholarships available for this program?

    The College of Engineering (CoE) offers MS Merit Scholarships to admitted applicants who demonstrated exemplary achievements. These scholarships offer up to 40% of direct tuition costs. We do not offer research/teaching assistantships or fellowships for MS studies. Applicants who wish to be considered for a Scholarship must indicate so on the application for admission. They must also complete and submit the supplemental MS Merit Scholarship Application form.

  • Will I be able to work while being enrolled in this program?

    Full-time enrollment in the MSOE program will involve a significant amount of coursework (classes hosted predominantly during the day) and time commitment. Thus, we do not recommend that students work full-time while enrolled. However, many students find part-time employment locally in order to offset the costs of the program and living.

  • Can I enroll part-time in the MSOE program?

    Yes, you can enroll in the MSOE program part-time. You will take 2 classes (vs. 4) each semester, and course selection will be discussed with your Academic Advisor. Please note that if you enroll in the program part-time, it will take approximately 2+ years to complete the degree.

  • Are there any courses available online?

    No, we do not offer online courses at this time.

  • What classes will I be taking while in residence at RSMAS?

    Each degree program, or track, has specific requirements. The curricular and experiential structure of each track was designed by experts in the field, as well as leaders from local businesses, NGOs and government organizations. Thus, you will be exposed to the theory and skills those experts felt were relevant and necessary to your development and professional success. There are a few mandatory courses in each track, as well as options for electives. The electives will reflect personal and professional interests and should be selected wisely. If you have a strong proficiency in a topic covered in a mandatory course (e.g. GIS), then you may be waived from the requirement with the approval of your Academic Advisor.

  • How do I apply?

    You must submit the following before the deadline: an application form (online through CollegeNet), a $65 application fee (check made out to: College of Engineering), official transcripts, a personal statement, your GRE scores, and 3 letters of recommendation. We do not require GRE subject tests.

  • Is there a minimum GRE score required for entry into the program?

    The University of Miami requires a minimum score of 1000, or 297 (new test), (verbal + quantitative) for program consideration.

  • Can I apply for more than one track/degree program?

    You may indicate a “Second Choice” for track/intended area of concentration on your application. Please make sure you have the required prerequisites for each track before making your selections (see our Program Requirements ). 

  • My application has been submitted, and I am waiting to hear back. When will I know if I’ve been accepted?

    We cannot evaluate your application until it is complete. Please check CaneLink regarding the status of received documentation. When your application is complete, you should expect a response within 2-3 weeks, though evaluations in some tracks (e.g. Marine Mammal Science) may take longer. Application evaluations begin in November  and roll through March 15th.

  • Based upon my undergraduate degree and relevant coursework, what degree programs/tracks am I eligible for?

    As long as you have successfully completed the relevant pre-requisites, you are eligible for that track (i.e. regardless of your major).

  • Are there options for spring enrollment?

    Not at present.

  • What is the difference between the Master of Professional Science Program and a traditional Master of Science degree?

    For starters, a Master of Engeering (MS) degree typically requires a 2-3 year time commitment, whereas the Master of Science in Ocean Engineering (MSOE) degree is designed to be completed in 12-15 months. In addition, a typical ME degree requires  an independent research thesis, while the MS is skill and project based. The primary focus of each track is to provide students with industry relevant, multidisciplinary skills that are necessary to acquire and perform well in various employment settings. So, although students will not necessarily be conducting independent research, they will be exposed to research and develop their analytic, writing, and speaking skills.

  • What is the deadline for fall enrollment?

    The deadline for fall enrollment is March 1st. However, we begin accepting and evaluating applications on November 1st of the previous year. All applications received after November 1st will be evaluated on a rolling basis through March 1st.

  • Are there additional application requirements for international students?

    In addition to the GRE, International Students must also take the TOEFL or IELTS exam and complete the Financial Responsibility Form:

  • Who has to take the TOEFL exam?

    International applicants whose native language is not English must submit official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). An exception to this rule is the international student who is earning a degree, or has completed a substantial amount of coursework, at a North American university. A minimum score of 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test), 80 for the iBT (internet-based test), or 6.5 for the IELTS is required by the University of Miami for admission. This requirement cannot be waived. TOEFL scores remain valid for a period of two years.

  • What is the visa process for international students?

    If you are accepted to the Engineering School, we will prepare your I-20 and send it to you by express mail. However, you must first provide us with the financial/bank approval form. When you receive the I-20, you must verify that all the information on the I-20 is correct and then take it the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for your F-1 visa. If you are required to obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa, please contact your U.S. Embassy or Consulate and inquire about how to apply for an exchange visitor visa. Contact information for and information on visa application procedures at U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide is available through the U.S. State Department website:

    To apply for an F-1 visa, you must provide the U.S. Embassy or Consulate your Form I-20, your passport, statement of funds, and other documents, as required by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. To apply for a J-1 visa, you must provide the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with your Form DS-2019, passport, statement of funds, and other documents, as required by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

    For more information regarding international admissions, please see the following:

  • What is the appropriate ETS code to use for the GRE and TOEFL exams?

    Please use institution code 7690 for the GRE scores and 2919 for the TOEFL.

  • Is health insurance required?

    Yes, all domestic students enrolled in six or more credit hours per semester (or considered full time), and all international students, are required to have health insurance. The University of Miami Student Health Service offers a student health insurance plan. The premium for this plan is added to each student’s fees.

  • Do I have to purchase the health insurance plan offered by the University? What if I’m covered under my parents/spouse/other source?

    Domestic students with adequate, alternative coverage may request cancellation of the health insurance fee by submitting a Domestic Insurance Cancellation Form, or through the electronic CaneLink system. Students with limited out of area coverage are urged to carefully review their options before waiving the Student Health Service sponsored insurance plan. Deadlines to waive the insurance are July 25th for the fall semester, January 25th for the spring semester, April 25th for summer I, and June 25th for summer II.
    All international students are required to enroll in the University sponsored heath insurance program. This cannot be waived.

  • How much does the University of Miami insurance plan cost?

    The annual premiums for the 2013–2014 insurance plan offered by the University through United Healthcare are $2197 for both domestic and international students.
    Students scheduled to graduate at the end of the fall semester can request to be charged for the fall semester only by completing an insurance exception form by September 1st. Students who request to be charged for the fall only, and remain enrolled, will be subject to the spring/summer insurance fee.

    Further information about these plans can be found at:

  • If accepted, when should I plan to arrive in Miami?

    We recommend arriving in Miami about 2-3 weeks before classes begin. This will give you ample time to find housing, get settled in, and familiarize yourself with the city before classes begin.

  • Where do graduate students live?

    The main campus of the University of Miami where the College of Engineering is located is in Coral Gables, it does offer some graduate student housing in the form of campus apartments. The Rosenstiel School is not a residential campus, and there are no housing facilities on site. However, most Rosenstiel students choose to live in apartments or rental units in the many diverse neighborhoods of the greater Miami area.

  • If accepted, when do I register for classes?

    Registration for classes runs from roughly July 15th to the week before classes start. You will be contacted by, and meet with, your Academic Advisor during this timeframe to discuss your personal and professional goals and select your classes.